I have the best shoes ever.
Damn it, Godzilla, I can’t take you anywhere!
Japanese name: モスラ
Romanized name: Mosura
Alignment: Varies by continuity
Species: Daikaijuu, guardian monster, insect
Status: Varies by continuity.
From: Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla Island, Mothra 2: The Undersea Battle, Mothra 3: King Ghidorah Attacks, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, Godzilla × Mothra × Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS, Godzilla: Final Wars
- “Mosu” (モス) is the Japanese rendering of the English word “moth”. “Ra” (ラ) is a common suffix in kaijuu names.
- Mothra has appeared in all three eras of the Godzilla films.
- Toho planned on releasing Mothra vs. Bagan in 1990. However, the disappointing box office sales for Godzilla vs. Biollante in 1989 caused Toho to scrap the project and to start another Godzilla centric movie.
- Mothra’s sound effect is a sped up version of Anguirus’ roar.
- As of today, Mothra is the only original Toho character to headline its own series of movies after appearing in the Godzilla franchise.
- The original script for Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack didn’t include Mothra. Godzilla was intended to fight Baragon, Varan and Anguirus. However, the more popular King Ghidorah and Mothra eventually replaced the latter two monsters.
No gifs from Mothra (1961)?
Amazing panning and scanning job from my own 1.33:1 version of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS
Noriyoshi Ohrai’s astounding artwork for the Heisei Godzilla films. I really wish films posters still utilised such creativity and talent.
I wish I had all of these on my walls.